This recipe is high in vitamin C, which is not only a powerful antioxidant but also integral to the growth and support of collagen, followed by carnitine to support male fertility. Sesame seeds are a good source of the antioxidant mineral selenium.
GF - SF* - HC (gluten-free, soy-free, high-vitamin C)
1 lb. /.5 kg skinless boneless chicken breast strips
Ground red pepper
2 tsp. /10 ml five-spice powder
¼ cup/110 g sesame seeds
2 Tbsp./30 ml roasted peanut oil
¼ cup/110 g mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup sweet marsala
1-1/2 cups/300 ml orange juice
Sliced green onion (optional)
2 cups/.5 L hot cooked brown rice, long-grain rice or other grain
Snipped fresh cilantro (coriander leaf)
1. Sprinkle chicken breast strips with salt and pepper. Then sprinkle well with five-spice powder and sesame seeds, pressing gently into meat.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken with mushrooms until chicken is browned, turning once.
3. Add marsala; reduce heat to medium low and add orange juice and green onion, if using.
4. Simmer 15 minutes until orange juice turns into a thin sauce, turning chicken strips occasionally and stirring sauce. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. (Some brands of orange juice are less sweet than others. If desired, add a little brown sugar or agave to the sauce the last minutes of cooking.)
5. Serve over hot rice or other cooked grain, topped with cilantro, with fresh steamed vegetables of your choice.
*Note: This recipe works well with turkey, beef or firm tofu, too.